Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning Through Literature

In the past couple of weeks in TE 402, we have been learning about how to use literature for learning purposes. I actually got to observe a lesson (involving the whole class!!) where literature was used to teach the students about animal habitats. Learning about habitats would be considered a science lesson, but my mentor teacher did a GREAT job with incorporating literature.

First the MSU volunteer read the students a book in which they were exposed to many different animals and where they live.

Then, after the story was finished, my mentor teacher asked the students about what they knew about habitats. And then he asked them what they wanted to know!

I was amazed by how much they learned just from listening to the book being read. By the end of the lesson, both sides of the chart were filled up completely! Everybody had really interesting ideas to add. These kids surprise me everyday! I wish I would have gotten a picture of the end result!

No comments:

Post a Comment