Sunday, April 15, 2012

Students for Literacy Mini Lessons

I decided to work with a few first graders that are a little behind in reading compared to the other first graders in the class. I frequently work with them in a small group and do activities my mentor teacher provides me with. These activities usually revolve around letter-sound knowledge since they have some trouble sounding out words. They are also below their classmates in their ability to recognize high-frequency words and sight words.

I chose three students for this activity who usually work in a reading group together based on their reading level. Their names are Camila, Ali, and Jordan. Camila is a student who speaks Spanish in her household, but as far as I know, she grew up learning both English and Spanish at the same time. I suspect that she is having problems reading and sounding out words because she speaks two different languages, but my mentor teacher has never really explained that situation to me. Ali is a quiet, shy student who barely ever talks. When he is asked a question, he speaks very softly, and when the teacher asks him to do something, he just does it without saying anything. I have noticed that he is hesitent to read aloud, and he also does not like to write. When he writes during writing time, it is one to two sentences max, and he has trouble spelling and sounding out words. Jordan is a student who could be classified as a "trouble maker." He is constantly doing the opposite of what the teacher tells him, and during reading and writing time, he is usually goofing off or trying to do other work. I have worked individually with him on several occasions and he seems to have his letter-sound knowledge down, but yet he is still at a very low reading level.

No comments:

Post a Comment